History


As a priest in Buffalo, NY, Msgr. Thomas J. Walsh had founded a social services agency to provide assistance to the needy of that city.  When he was assigned as Bishop of Trenton, he was interested in establishing a similar organization in Trenton.  That opportunity came  in 1920 with the dissolution after World War I of the National Recreation Service, which had been created as a diversion for the armed forces.  At the end of the war when the service was dissolved, the residual funds were divided equally among the Jewish, Protestant, and Catholic faiths.  Bishop Walsh received a grant from the National Catholic War Council, which was responsible for the portion awarded to the Catholic Church.  With that money, he purchased a beautiful, Italianate structure on North Clinton Avenue to serve as headquarters for Mount Carmel Guild of Trenton.

Within three months of its founding, the membership of the Guild had risen to 600 people organized into as many as 26 departments, each serving the community in a different way.  Services included visiting patients in hospitals, sponsoring various lecture series, visiting inmates in prisons, collaborating with the USO, providing legal assistance, and contributing to both secular and religious education.

From the beginning, the vision of Mount Carmel Guild has been “the cure of poverty – head, heart, and spirit.”  Since that time, the Guild has served poor and needy people of Mercer County, holding true to its original mission, and, as the current logo depicts, continues to provide “a helping hand” to ailing seniors and impoverished individuals and families.

In 1941, the Guild began operating its nursing program.  Originally staffed by four Sisters of the Congregation of the Holy Infant of Jesus, the program is continued today by registered nurses who visit the elderly, allowing them to age with grace and dignity in their own homes.

In January of 1978, the Guild House, the main administrative building of Mount Carmel Guild, was designated a landmark by the Trenton Landmarks Commission because it is one of the city’s finest Italianate villas and contains some of Trenton’s most elaborate mill and cabinet work.  Formerly owned by the president of one of Trenton’s most successful pottery companies, the house also entered the National Register of Historic Places in 1995.

Our Mission Statement:

Mount Carmel Guild of Trenton enhances the life of those in need: body, mind, and spirit.